Cheap 2M, 70cm handheld recommendations

Got a question about radio? Ask here...

Cheap 2M, 70cm handheld recommendations

Postby G4SSE on Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:05 am

Hi all,

need a recommendation for a cheap 2m, 70cm handheld. Already have one of those ubiquitous Baofeng UV5Rs. Should I get another for Sartin Jr, or is there something else for the same, or a bit more, money that I should be looking at?

Cheers ... J
G4SSE

Re: Cheap 2M, 70cm handheld recommendations

Postby M0GXZ on Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:08 am

I’m quite liking the Radioddity GD-77,
dual-band analogue/DMR Digital.
£77 from Amazon.
Don’t fear DMR “code-plugs” we can share an MKARS config.

Malcolm.
M0GXZ

Postby G4SSE on Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:05 am

Oooh, thanks Malcolm. Hadn't considered DMR to be within my price range, but will have to take a look.

Cheers ... J
G4SSE

Postby M0UKF on Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:53 am

Newer build based on the UV5R

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GT-3TP-Mark-III-Transceiver-Capacity-Upgraded/dp/B01F9ZWDKU/

As with the UV5R it has a good mic and decent audio, and the bonus of a wider TX/RX range for scanning around if bored [although FM only] - i am always surprised how much activity is going on on 446mhz

I had it in my car for about a month without having to charge the battery, it apparently runs for days without charge. Its very rugged.

You can even have it play broadcast stations when the squelch is closed.

I often take this radio out when i go for a walk with the dog to more remote locations. Normally i tune into GB3NP/GB3MK and turn the radio onto BBC Radio 1/2/4 - which lets GB3NP/MK interupt as and when people key up.

This is definitely a great back up radio, unless you have a shack full of HT, its worth having one as a spare
M0UKF
MKARS Member

Postby M0GXZ on Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:58 pm

Now an even cheaper Analogue/DMR Dual Bander ;
I think I'd rather pay a bit more and get the GD-77 though.

https://www.radioddity.com/radioddity-x ... cable.html

Malcolm.
M0GXZ

Postby M0MMZ on Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:09 pm

With the $30 shipping, I think it works out slightly more expensive than the GD-77 too
Stu M0MMZ
Vice Chairman
M0MMZ

Postby G4SSE on Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:37 pm

Hmm,

https://forums.radioreference.com/budge ... -a-10.html has some pretty extended rants on display regarding the GD-77 and software quality. Now I don't have a problem with community supported software (I've run Linux at home for _many_ years and used to be an OSS developer), but I'd like to know if I'm buying a radio, or a reverse-engineering project ;-).

I've read Stu's post from February, so I'm feeling but leary, given the time I have available to devote to this as a project. What do we reckon, worth a punt or should I go for one of the alternatives (possibly without DMR)?

Cheers ... J
G4SSE

Postby M0GXZ on Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:28 pm

The new AnyTone dual band DMR/FM handheld that just became available this week looks a much more finished product in terms of hardware and software but that is £139 which I guess it outside of the parameters we started with.
The question is would you be entertained by what’s on FM while quite a few people are moving to digital, leaving less FM activity ?
The safe answer is probably just get a £30 analoge dualbander, my main point was that for a bit more money you’ probably have a lot more fun.
Myself and Stu are happy with our GD-77s , there will always be drama-queens in the forums that can’t resist doing factory resets every 5 mins even after people advise them not to.

Alternatively, I could offer to sell you my TYT MD-380 and put the money towards the new AnyTone, if you were interested?

Malcolm.
M0GXZ

Postby G4SSE on Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:44 am

Cheers Malcolm,

plenty to think about. I agree, you're right about wanting DMR. Now I've given it some thought, I think FM only would probably disappoint over time.

Now I've got to consider whether I need dual-band or not. 2m does seem to be awfully quiet at the moment though.

Cheers ... J
G4SSE

Postby G1MZD on Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:43 pm

I'm not into any thing digital at the present time but ultimately it will take over as ssb did to am , but as regards FM only you can't get much cheaper than the UVR . I've programmed mine for many
repeaters more than I will ever need but easily accessible for the local repeaters and programmable for 446 as well which for the price is a bit of a bargain, but as Malcolm has suggested the choice is yours.
Dave
G1MZD
MKARS Member

Return to Radio Related Help & Projects