Windows Vista End Of Life

Our computer forum

Windows Vista End Of Life

Postby 2E0VZK on Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:25 pm

Just to remind folks that Windows Vista goes EOL on April the 11th.

This means you should disconnect any Windows Vista machines from the Internet after this date as they will become vulnerable and may end up as part of a botnet and/or attack other machines/devices on your home network.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/hel ... fact-sheet

For those of you wishing to keep using your hardware on the Internet you could risk purchasing an upgrade to Windows 10 and seeing if it works, or you can try one of the Linux distributions such as Ubuntu for free.
2E0VZK

Re: Windows Vista End Of Life

Postby M0RBD on Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:54 pm

Judging from forums/mailing lists... There are quite a few OMs still using XP! :o :scared:
M0RBD
MKARS Member

Postby 2E0VZK on Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:03 pm

I dunno what an OM is but if anyone comes near me with a Windows XP machine they get a choice between having it erased or all their ports glued up and WiFi removed. And pretty soon I'll do the same for Vista users.

Using a XP or Vista machine on the Internet is as irresponsible as driving a car with bald tyres and no MOT down the motorway at 70mph. XP users are one of the main contributors to spam, phishing attacks, Internet outages, illegal file trafficking, etc, etc as their computers are being used by nefarious people to do bad deeds without their knowledge. One of the reasons why XP gets slower with age is all the dodgy stuff its being used for in the background.
2E0VZK

Postby M0RBD on Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:13 pm

2E0VZK wrote:I dunno what an OM is but if anyone comes near me with a Windows XP machine they get a choice between having it erased or all their ports glued up and WiFi removed. And pretty soon I'll do the same for Vista users.

OM = Old Man = Radio Amateur!

2E0VZK wrote:Using a XP or Vista machine on the Internet is as irresponsible as driving a car with bald tyres and no MOT down the motorway at 70mph. XP users are one of the main contributors to spam, phishing attacks, Internet outages, illegal file trafficking, etc, etc as their computers are being used by nefarious people to do bad deeds without their knowledge. One of the reasons why XP gets slower with age is all the dodgy stuff its being used for in the background.

If you are an ISP... Disabling weak/old ciphers works like a charm :D
M0RBD
MKARS Member

Postby 2E0VZK on Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:32 pm

Its not just old people trust me...
2E0VZK

Postby 2E0VIT on Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:05 pm

2E0VZK wrote:...Using a XP or Vista machine on the Internet is as irresponsible as driving a car with bald tyres and no MOT down the motorway at 70mph. XP users are one of the main contributors to spam, phishing attacks, Internet outages, illegal file trafficking, etc, etc as their computers are being used by nefarious people to do bad deeds without their knowledge. One of the reasons why XP gets slower with age is all the dodgy stuff its being used for in the background.

What about a Windows for Workgroups 3.11 Machine on the Internet ? It "worked" on the internet just two and a half years ago https://youtu.be/GOfzgulc9yw
2E0VIT
MKARS Member

Postby 2E0VZK on Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:46 pm

LOL!
2E0VZK

Postby M0RBD on Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:37 am

Jokes aside... There are still quite a few POS out there that are on either XP or DOS/WfW 3.11!
M0RBD
MKARS Member

Postby M0RBD on Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:38 am

2E0VZK wrote:Its not just old people trust me...

Oh I know... Businesses too... Worst thing they *bleep* argue about it!
M0RBD
MKARS Member

Postby M0RBD on Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:40 am

2E0VIT wrote:
2E0VZK wrote:...Using a XP or Vista machine on the Internet is as irresponsible as driving a car with bald tyres and no MOT down the motorway at 70mph. XP users are one of the main contributors to spam, phishing attacks, Internet outages, illegal file trafficking, etc, etc as their computers are being used by nefarious people to do bad deeds without their knowledge. One of the reasons why XP gets slower with age is all the dodgy stuff its being used for in the background.

What about a Windows for Workgroups 3.11 Machine on the Internet ? It "worked" on the internet just two and a half years ago https://youtu.be/GOfzgulc9yw

Hah! You can still download it if you are a MSDN subscriber...
M0RBD
MKARS Member

Return to Computer Discussion & Projects