Distance learning for the Advanced exam

News, discussion and all the latest from the MKARS Trainers...

Moderators: M0JSZ, G8GNI

Distance learning for the Advanced exam

Postby M0RFC on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:22 am

(A heads up for anyone wanting to take the training & exam next year (until MKARS gets sorted again with training internally.)

The Bath-based Advanced Distance Learning Team are busy enrolling for the next course, which starts in January. The course will run for twenty weeks, aiming for the July exam.

The course works by the team e-mailing weekly work packages.
Students submit answers to practice questions and other assignments to an e-tutor. Worked answers are provided to those who submit work.

There is no charge for the training or the tutor support, but all students pay a deposit which is refunded to those who actively take part in the learning. Those that do not regularly submit work agree to donate their deposit to a radio charity.

The pass rate for those completing the course has been over 90% at every sitting so far, so it seems to work. Past students have studied in France, Kenya, Croatia and all over the UK.

For more details, please contact Steve Hartley, G0FUW, who is in the RSGB Yearbook, on QRZ.com and can be contacted via email to
g0fuw<at>tiscali.co.uk.
--
Steve - M0RFC

Radios, Antennas & Other bits! A passion for 6m & PSK.
M0RFC

Re: Distance learning for the Advanced exam

Postby M0TSW on Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:36 pm

Hello Steve.
Thanks for posting the information.
I have already booked a place on the course.
Regards
Tim 2E0MKT
M0TSW
MKARS Member

Postby M0IOT on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:17 pm

I'm booked too - looking forward to it. Anyone else signed up, John?
M0IOT

Postby M0MMZ on Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:57 pm

Guys,

If you really want to do local learning, the committee are looking into an arrangement for the new year.

Stu (who did the distance learning!)
Stu M0MMZ
Vice Chairman and Membership Secretary
M0MMZ

Postby M0TSW on Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:23 pm

Hello Stu
Doing the Advanced Training through MKARS is the ideal situation and it would have been better to put money into the club's coffers instead of someone elses.
However, due to the upheaval that MKARS is undergoing at the moment a number of us were advised to seek training elsewhere and online was really the only option available.
Steve Hartley's (G0FUW) course starts on the 20th Jan 2013 and he only has a limited number of slots available so we have had to book now to secure a place.
If there is any Advanced training on offer from MKARS then I am more than happy to come along. We will also have to get MKARS Committee/Trainers to arrange a Exam venue for us in July!
Regards
Tim 2E0MKT
M0TSW
MKARS Member

Postby M0IOT on Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:32 am

Yes I would like to say I would have preferred to have been trained by MKARS having passed my Foundation and Intermediate with the team's excellent courses but had to make a quick decision to get on the January start distance-learning course or wait to see if the club had the training facilities sorted out for 2013.

I hope no-one thinks this is a reflection on our training team as it was simply impatience on my part to get cracking on the advanced course!

_Chris
2E0CMK
M0IOT

Postby M0MMZ on Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:29 am

As the training situation is still up in the air, if you are desperate to get yourself booked into an Advance training course, Steve G0FUW is currently looking to book people into the distance learning January course.
Stu M0MMZ
Vice Chairman and Membership Secretary
M0MMZ

Postby 2E0VIT on Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:30 am

I am currently on Steve's G0FUW Advanced Course - BBADL 17-02

I will be at the club most if not all nights between now and September when I will resume attending university lectures on Monday nights.

At time of writing (16 July 2017) currently on week 2 Maths. The new week begins on Fridays.

I would be very grateful for any input at the club.

Antonio
2E0VIT
2E0VIT
MKARS Member

Postby M0JBF on Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:21 pm

Hello
I Did Distance learning . Didn't complete due to shift work . BUT kept all the course work, Q & A and read the whole lot through, also to note use QADV. It is an excellent on line test.

De M0JBF
M0JBF
MKARS Member

Return to MKARS Training